No matter what your thoughts are on any individual rape or sexual assault case, there is one thing that should be clear: the person making the allegations - the victim - is NOT on trial.
Regardless of your thoughts on the details of the Ched Evans case, there is one thing that I hope you agree with me on: a woman's sexual history should NOT be a factor in the verdict of the man accused of raping her.
OK, some background for those who don't know what I'm talking about:
- Ched Evans is a professional footballer who was accused, and subsequently convicted, of raping a woman.
- He brought the case back for a re-trial after serving his sentence.
- He was acquitted in the re-trial (this week.)
- Her behaviour with past sexual partners is NO INDICATION of how she acted that night.
- It DOES NOT MATTER whether she was 'instigating' or acting flirtatiously - what matters is how drunk she was, if she was capable of giving consent, and/or if she at any point indicated she wanted to stop.
- Bringing up people who had sex with her a few days before is A BLATANT ATTEMPT AT SLUT-SHAMING.
- Women are ALLOWED to have as many sexual partners as they want - this is the 21st Century.
- SHE IS NOT ON TRIAL. SHE IS NOT ON TRIAL. SHE IS NOT ON TRIAL. SHE IS NOT ON TRIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Nerd Church - No Future
- Review! - Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates
- Review Time! - Nina Is Not OK by Shappi Khorsandi