Hello dearest nerdlets! There's something I want you to do - take care of yourselves.
- You-time is important. Take as much of it as you can. You're the only you there is - and we need you to be ok.
- Perfection is an ideal, not a reality. It's ok for you to go with 'that'll do,' rather than 'that is perfect.'
- You're human. There's a limit to how much you can do without exhausting yourself. Delegate or say no.
- You need fuel in the tank. Regular meals are important. Regular sleep is important. Stay hydrated. If there's no fuel in the tank than you can't get this show on the road.
- Put basic effort into your appearance. I don't mean be vain. I don't mean beat yourself up about how you look. I literally mean do things like brush your teeth and your hair; wash your face. Shower or bath regularly. It's good hygiene if nothing else.
- Make an emergency self-care plan. This can be something physical like (just as an example) a box where you keep scented candles, chocolate, spa-style skin treatments, and your favourite DVD. Or it can be something you tell yourself, like 'I'm ok, I'm doing fine.' Or something you do to unwind - read, watch reality TV, make a cup of tea or coffee (although, be careful if your mood is easily affected by caffeine.)
- Don't be so hard on yourself. This is a vital one. We're our own harshest critics. So give yourself a break.
- Log off. Look, technology is great - but humans designed it, we weren't designed for it. Have a time in the day when you're not looking at a screen, and limit how much scrolling through social media feeds you do.
- Limit the booze. Look, I'm no prude. Unless you have a legal reason or medical reason not to (and yes, that includes medications that shouldn't be mixed with alcohol,) then go ahead and have a drink. But remember, it's a depressant - you drink too much, even over a relatively spaced-out period of time, and you're gonna feel pretty sh**ty. And binge-drinking is not good for you, end of.
So look after yourself guys!
Next week is the last Nerd Church before Christmas.
- Nerd Church - The Importance of Chillaxation
- Nerd Church - Celebrate the Small Stuff
- Colour Me Happy